30 Tips for Today’s Financial Advisor: Tip 19
2020 has been a tough year, and we’re all feeling some level of anxiety, or stress, or fear. Remember that your advisory team members, clients, prospects, and COIs are dealing with these feelings, too.
Now more than ever, it’s important for leaders to open their ears, sit back, and listen. If you haven’t taken the time to check in with your team and listen — truly listen — to how they’re feeling, make sure to do that this week.
Today’s Tip: Listen to Your Team Members and Clients
Tip #19: Remember — when you’re talking, you’re not listening.
The average human has an eight-second attention span — and it’s extremely difficult to focus during this pandemic. How can you make sure you are listening attentively to your clients and team members? Here are some great tips from a New York Times journalist with 30 years of interviewing experience:
- Be fully present: Clear your mind, turn off your phone (or put it away), turn away from monitors, and react in the moment.
- No judgments or agendas: Be empathetic, know why you are talking, and be grounded.
- Show you’re listening: Use body language to add energy to the conversation.
- Listen to learn: Ask open-ended questions, be interested, and learn one thing from everyone.
- Bosses, respect your workers and solicit opinions: If you want to be a better manager, there are four simple words to add to your vocabulary: “What do you think?”
Have any comments or questions? Reach out to our Beyond AUM team!