30 Tips for Today’s Financial Advisor: Tip 20
Though it’s hard for many of us to admit, it’s easy to get caught up in the negative when it feels like the weight of the world is on our shoulders. But instead of commiserating over a problem and harping on all of the ways things didn’t work out, change the narrative and focus on the solution. The refreshing perspective and optimism may even inspire your fellow colleagues and team members to do the same, creating positive change.
Today’s Tip: Focus on What You Learned and Move Forward in a Productive Way
Tip #20: Worry, fear, and negative talk only focus on the problem. Stay in the solution.
How can you improve your problem-solving skills? Inc. provides these six techniques:
- Develop a step-by-step approach. This technique is known as the problem-solving cycle. Identify the problem, form a strategy, organize your information, monitor progress, and evaluate the end result.
- Ask solution-oriented questions. For instance, instead of asking, “Why can’t I get more clients?” ask solution-oriented questions, such as “What three things can I do differently than my competitors?” or “What would I have to do in the next few months to get 10 new clients by the end of the year?”
- Change your mindset. View challenges as an opportunity to grow.
- Work with your hands. Experiential learning with our hands, such as playing with LEGOs, can wire our brains for problem-solving at a young age. Improve your problem-solving skills by playing chess or Sudoku, manipulating a Rubik’s cube, or playing board games with friends or family.
- Ask for help. Put your ego aside. Ask friends, family, team members, mentors, coaches, or people you admire for help on a problem. As Inc. says, “Even if you could solve the problem on your own, working with others can bring fresh ideas and vantage points you would never have developed by yourself.”
- Take time to reflect and celebrate. Do something you enjoy so you can relax and come back to the problem with a positive mindset. Also, make the time to celebrate your accomplishments.
Financial advisors, what marketing issues are you facing currently? Reach out to our team today for help.